Saturday, December 30, 2017

Looking Back To My Childhood Cartoons

    Ah the end of the year, a time when everyone looks back on the year past.  Phooey on that.  Why look back over the year when you can look all the way back to childhood?  So here are some links to a few of the cartoons I loved when I was a kid.


Super Chicken
     I had not watched an episode of Super Chicken for decades before making this post, and yet when it somehow came up in a conversation (tip: avoid starting conversations with me, god only knows where they'll end up) I discovered that I could still do his theme song.  And the line about "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred" has been in my brain for as long as I can remember.  It's a terrible show, but I loved it.




M.A.S.K.
    These guys were so cool.  The transforming vehicles and helmets that did cool things, I loved these toys the moment I saw them at the store.  Sadly the cartoon isn't that great, I didn't think it was even back then, but the toys were great enough to earn this a place in my nostalgia collection.



Battle of the Planets
    I had always thought that Robotech was the first anime I ever saw (Americanized though it was), but actually that spot belongs to Battle of the Planets, which was another Americanized anime.  I cannot remember much of the story now (and only watched a few minutes before making this post), but I have a feeling that part of why I liked this as a kid was that it was not a silly and stupid as most kids shows.



Defenders of the Earth
    Superfriends was okay, but the best superhero cartoon was Defenders of the Earth for me.  This is where I got my love for the character of The Phantom, even though he isn't comic-accurate in this cartoon (he did get his own awesome cartoon years later with Phantom 2040).



Felix the Cat
    One of my most favorite characters ever, with that awesome bag of tricks.



So there it is, totally un-asked-for and no doubt un-wanted, a look into some of the things from my childhood that made me the way I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment